CashStar, the digital gifting and incentives company, today shared online gift card sales trends across fifty leading retail brands from the 2010 Mother’s Day holiday. Based on aggregated data from consumers making purchases across CashStar’s digital gifting and incentives platform, personalized eGift cards continue to serve as an essential tool for retailers looking to achieve sales spikes during holiday shopping seasons. Coupled with incentives such as CashStar’s Give One, Get One (GOGO™) offer solution, eGift cards benefit both the consumers who are looking for a personal and convenient gifting experience and retailers looking to increase lift.
Several of CashStar’s retail partners made use of the company’s patent pending Offer Management Solution, including: Chili’s Restaurant and Bar; CVS/pharmacy; Uno Chicago Grill; and O’Charley’s and Ninety Nine Restaurants, two of three restaurant concepts operated by O’Charley’s Inc.
Following the successful sales spike experienced during the 2009 holiday season, eGift card sales increased 167 percent between Monday, May 3 and Mother’s Day on May 9. Monday, May 3 was the biggest selling day in terms of monetary value, representing an increase of 297 percent, and the highest day since Christmas Day 2009. In terms of quantity, 66 percent of all eGift cards delivered on Mother’s Day were purchased on that day, proving that eGift cards continue to be an effective last minute sales tool for retailers.
Other Notable Statistics from the 2010 Mother’s Day Holiday:
- Face Value: For the week leading up to Mother’s Day, the average face value of CashStar eGift cards was 66 percent higher than the industry average for specialty retail gift cards and 147 percent higher for general gift cards (compared to most recent sales data provide by First Data for Christmas week 2009).
- Future Send: Of the eGift cards delivered on Mother’s Day, one third were purchased prior to the holiday for future send. As more and more consumers spend time online, eGift cards provide a convenient and secure way to shop. eGift cards can be delivered at any chosen date, with no shipping costs and no expiration. And since they’re gift cards, they’re always perfect.
- Personalization: CashStar retailers offer shoppers the most enhanced gifting experience available online. For the Mother’s Day holiday, 96 percent of all CashStar-powered eGift cards delivered to friends and family carried a personalized message. More than one in ten consumers elected to upload their own photo or image as their gift card design for an increased level of personalization – making themselves and their moms the stars of their Mother’s Day gifting experience.
- Restaurants: Sales of restaurant eGift cards increased 279 percent over the previous week. The category of casual dining was the most frequently gifted restaurant category, with an increase of 411 percent. According to the National Retail Federation, treating Mom to brunch or dinner continues to be one of the most popular Mother’s Day gifts.
- Print on demand: 43 percent of consumers printed their own eGift cards demonstrating the value of the near-instant print-on-demand capability the CashStar platform enables. Consumers are increasingly benefiting from the convenience of not having to run to the store to get a last minute gift, while others are taking advantage of the promotional offers that retailers provide over the holiday.
“Building on the success of the 2009 holiday sales season, our retail partners took advantage of our powerful platform to offer their customers personalized and convenient options for Mother’s Day gifts that could be purchased anytime, anywhere,” said CashStar CEO and co-founder David Douglas Stone. “As a result, and by using the CashStar Offer Management Solution, our retailers experienced sales spikes, grew customer loyalty and attracted new customers through their eGift card offering.”
About CashStar, Inc. CashStar is the preferred digital gifting and incentives partner for retailers nationwide. These retail brands leverage CashStar to easily and securely integrate digital gifting strategies to increase sales and customer loyalty. CashStar offers consumers an unmatched personalized eGift experience via email, mobile and social channels. It is the only company to successfully combine an on-demand B2C and B2B digital gifting and incentives platform with innovative multichannel marketing strategies. More than 250 brands are successfully partnering with CashStar to drive incremental sales, increase retention and boost profitability including Best Buy, Chili’s Grill & Bar, CVS/pharmacy, Gap, Pottery Barn, QVC, Staples, Starbucks, T.G.I. Friday’s, The Home Depot, and Williams-Sonoma. To learn more about how CashStar is constantly innovating the way businesses deliver personalized gifting experiences to consumers and partners in the digital world, please visit www.cashstar.com or e-mail .
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.